Essentials: Mental Health Resources for Activity Professionals Other ideas for MH series….Healthy Vibes , Healthy Minds
Essentials is an outreach of the NAAP Education Council.
Committed to equipping your daily work through research and timely resources to enhance quality of life for residents everywhere.
May is Mental Health Awareness Month. An opportunity to enhance our understanding of the beautiful brain and human experiences. Accenting/Lighting things UP with green is the thing to do!!! The National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI) suggests three steps for being stigma free:
- Educate yourself and others.
- See the person, not the condition.
- Take action.
There is an abundance of research-based information to tap into however often days can be time constrained. The goal with the Essential series is to review and bring you practical resources to support people living with mental health qualities and your important work.
May 2023 Ideas:
- Bust mental health myths by posting mental health FACT sheets.
Resource: National Institute of Mental Health https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics
- Schedule a movie that promotes mental health, hosting a discussion circle afterwards
- Advocate and get people talking about mental health by wearing a mental health tee shirt.
“Mental health: (noun) whispered behind closed doors; something to talk about in the open.”
- Contact your local NAMI county chapter and request a speaker
- FREE toolkit: Mental Health America Includes: mini poster, healthy ideas calendar, outdoors worksheet
I’ll be creating a bulletin board at work, with shades of GREEN
hoping you will take inspired action.
CHALLENGE: Let’s share a photo of our actions on the NAAP Facebook page during May 2023!
Nancy Richards, ADC/EDU/MC NAAP Education Council